- What You Should be Doing to Properly Prepare for Your Exams in the New School Year (9/13/2017) - We know that tests and exams can be daunting and stressful experiences for any student. Just knowing the dates of a test can be stressful, but understand that it doesn’t have to be that way. Let’s go over a few ways that can help you remain calm and headstrong while becoming emotionally, intellectually and spiritually […]
- Turning Negative Attitudes Into Positive Ones at Our Christian School in McAllen! (8/1/2017) - Whether you’ve noticed or not, a positive attitude can be traced to someone’s success in their everyday life. It can contribute to success and a mental well-being, but sometimes there may be people or situations that might hold you back. At St John’s Episcopal Church & School, there are so many opportunities to help someone […]
- 6 Reasons Why You Should Consider a Christian School for Your Child’s Education (7/14/2017) - Every parent knows that their young children spend more time at school each week than anywhere else. This is why a school or other learning environment is one of the most transformative places a child will ever be a part of. St John’s Episcopal Church & School can be a place to form and instill […]
- What You Can be Doing to Grow Spirituality During the Summer! (6/27/2017) - Ask any student what they look forward to the most each summer and they’ll likely say free time, enjoying the outdoors, playing video games and sleeping in! We’re sure you have more than enough activities planned, however. You might even be considering a part time job to help you save some money for the next […]
- Summer Activities that All Christian Students Should Participate In! (6/6/2017) - With summer already upon us, students everywhere will be looking forward to sleeping in and not having to worry about studying, homework and writing book reports. Sounds like a fantastic period! However, there will also be some students out there that will have nothing to do throughout the summer. In that case, let’s talk about […]
- Being Relaxed: What You Can do to Overcome Your Student Stress (5/12/2017) - During our youth, we have almost everything to be happy about, but as we age and responsibilities start piling up, stress can take effect. Whether it’s worrying about the latest exam or which college to attend, stress can creep up when you can least afford to deal with it. As any of your fellow students […]
- How to Comfortably Share Your Faith with Your Friends and Schoolmates (4/20/2017) - One of the things students will notice at a place like St. John’s Episcopal Church & School is how important faith becomes, not just to you, but also to those around you. It might seem like climbing a mountain when starting a conversation with a friend or fellow classmate about God, faith and religion. Not […]
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Consider a Christian Education for Your Children (3/22/2017) - Sending your child to a public school is certainly nothing to frown at. There are many reasons parents choose to send their children to public schools, and ultimately, it’s up to them to decide where they should be educated. However, if the opportunity is there and you’ve given a thought on how your child can […]
- 5 Things Your Child Should Know About Humility (2/17/2017) - Humility is very rare out of all character traits. It’s also one that’s desperately needed in today’s world. At St. John’s Episcopal Church & School, staff and peers who encourage the formation of such traits will guide your child. We encourage you to call or visit us so that your child can start reaping the […]
- The Advantages of a Christian Education at St John’s Episcopal Church & School (2/2/2017) - Every parent must one day make the decision regarding their young children’s education. Many feel that public school is the best choice, and there’s nothing wrong with that. However, at St John’s Episcopal Church & School, our goal is to go above and beyond the normal education curriculum for children. Here, your child will find […]
Wednesday Night Gatherings @ St. John’s
6 p.m. – Bring your own Dinner
6:30 p.m. -8 p.m. – Classes
Celebrating Roots: Adult Confirmation—Join Father Jim for a series on who we are and who we claim to be as Episcopalians. Class begins on January 11th.
Embracing Spiritual Awakening – Join Mother Jen, beginning on January 11th for a video-based discussion series that invites us to consider what it means to live as a Christian in 21st-century America.
KFC—Kids For Christ: (K-5th grade) – Kids gather for dinner, fellowship, and fun & interactive lessons on relationship with God. Dinner is provided for kid’s class.
Wednesday Witness: (Jr & Sr. High) – Teens gather in the Youth House for food, fellowship, music and lessons. Dinner is provided for youth group by families who volunteer to provide a meal, call Carrie Guerra at 687-6791 to sign up to provide a meal.
Nursery for newborn through 4yrs provided.
For more information, please call the church office at 687-6191.
Electronic Newsletter Officially Starting in February
The St. John’s newsletter will be delivered as PDF electronically. Please notify the church office by email: email@example.com or call 956-687-6191
if you would like to continue to receive the newsletter by mail.
Tuesdays & Thursdays
6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
St. John’s Parish Hall
Instructor: Anna Chavarria 956-776-8509
Fee: $100 per month
(8-9 sessions) Drop-ins $15
Alternate Contact: Linda Gardner 956-789-7012
St. John’s Food Pantry
Tuesday, January 10th
Boxes of food are distributed to those in need. In addition, a warm meal is served. The Fishers of Men are coordinating the meal. Volunteers are needed anytime between 4pm – 8pm.
Sunday, January 29th
10 a.m. Combined Service
Liturgy of Belonging
Annual Meeting following
Everyone is encouraged to come review what has been happening at St. John’s during the past year & learn details of the plans for St. John’s future.
Vestry & Council Delegate elections will be held at the Annual Meeting on Sunday, January 29th The Vestry of St. John’s Episcopal Church is a committee elected by the members of the church charged with managing the temporal affairs of the church. New Vestry members are elected each year to replace outgoing Vestry members. Elections for Delegates to serve at Diocesan Council in February 2017 will be held during the Annual Meeting as well.
*Nominee slate and biographical information will be sent out soon. All members of St. John’s 16 years of age and older are eligible to vote.
February 23-25, 2017 113th Annual Diocesan Council in Corpus Christi
The 2017 Diocesan Council will be hosted by Good Shepherd, Corpus Christi and held at the Ameribank Center. On February 25, 2017, all canonically resident clergy in the diocese and duly elected delegates and alternates from each congregation of the diocese will gather for the election a Bishop Suffragan during the 113th Diocesan Council in Corpus Christi, Texas. For complete information on the Nomination Process visit the diocesan website at http://www.dwtx.org/calendar-events/bishop-suffragan/.
*If you are interested in serving St. John’s and our Diocese as a Delegate at this upcoming Council, please contact the church office by Wednesday, January 4th
If you are interested in serving St. John’s and our Diocese as a Delegate at this upcoming Council, please contact the church office by Wednesday, January 4th